Login | Register

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Post subject: Random Crashing
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:54 pm 

Sorry for the long post, trying to get as much pert. info as possible to you.

Arrrggg. Having a problem with random crashing. Here's the needed info:
TQ Ver 1.3
TQ Defiler.Net v1.0.5

I played this new character to level 18 without any crashing.
I installed TQ Portable.Net first and saw that I could not change character masteries. Uninstalled TQ Portable.Net.

Next installed TQ Defiler 3.4.5, made following changes: Disabled Intro Videos, removed 1 mastery, changed skill reclamation points used to Zero, gave my self 6 skill points. (Yeah, kept it simple, just wanted to switch to new mastery :-) )

Next time I played I put points into new mastery and everything seemed fine, but then started getting random crashes. Crashes seem to happen only when I am in combat though.

Saw on the forums that you were trying to phase out TQ Defiler for TQ Defiler.net and thought maybe that crashing was tied to TQ Defiler, so I uninstalled TQ Defiler 3.4.5.

Installed TQ Defiler.Net 1.0.5 and ran TQ. Same problem exists. I have tried to see if I could narrow down the crash to something specific; I have tried everything from not using pets, only using melee or ranged (to see if it was weapon), using NO skills, not picking anything up, no opening chests, etc., etc., but other than having to be in combat, it seems random. Play times before crashing range from 1 min to 10 mins (tried a 20 games played sample). I've teleported back to previous areas that have I'vealready been through to see if it was the new map/area, still crashes. I have even tried playing an old char that I DID NOT modify with Defiler, and it still crashes. :-( (I have been reading that TQ has crashed for a lot of people, but mine worked fine for 18 levels, and only started having probs once I modified my character)

I know it is tied to combat since I can play and do anything except go into combat and the game is fine (teleport, visit merchants, talk to npc's, etc.). Was up to an hour playtime without combat and still going. My first thought was a graphics problem maybe associated with a certain spell effect, or something similar, but I have had enough crashes to see that the spell effects are not an issue. Can't see any reason it would be a graphics issue since I have not made any changes to anything computer wise, graphics wise, or well, anything else. Only installed TQ Defiler.

Does TQ Defiler modify or even effect files of characters that are not modified in any way?
I know random crashes are the hardest to fix, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Random Crashing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:41 am 

The same scenarior has been happening to me, I installed the latest defiler, and everytime I'm in combat, Titan Quest (No Immortal Throne) will crash, close itself. I'm anxious to find out how or why this happens, and how I can fix it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Random crashes like that wouldn't be attributed to the Defiler in any way unless perhaps you have a specific mod enabled...and even then it wouldn't be random (crash upon opening a chest for example is usually from having an increase unique chance mod too high).

Simply modifying one character and using another character and still getting crashes shows that there is something else going on, as the Defiler doesn't affect any game files other than the character you modified (unless you turned a mod on), a random crash could be bad memory...or possibly something overheating like your graphics card. Perhaps a case fan died? It's tough to tell, also could be a drivers issue if you've updated any or sometimes a Windows fix (I've had headaches with some Windows updates before).

Soul

Maker of the Defiler and Portable. Get more information here!

"I hate it when people quote themselves in their signatures." - Me

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:05 pm 

Alrighty, Hey there Soul! First off, THANK YOU, Defiler came to my rescue!

I've been playing TQ for years now (on and off) but I've never used mods. I had the unfortunate experience of allowing my son to play my characters. He wanted to alter the skills of my level 68 Brig. This in itself isn't an issue but he's rather crafty and discovered the trick for gaining additional skill/stat points by clicking too fast. When next I went to play my character I discovered an obscene amount of stat/skill points had been applied, making my character nearly godlike. Thanks to Defiler I was able to reverse what was done.

I know this thread is ages old, but it came up in answer to a question I asked the almighty google and so I thought I'd post my story :)

However as soon as I installed Defiler I also started having these random crashes. There seems to be no correlation to combat as mentioned above, though everything else is exactly the same. No matter what I am doing, the game will crash randomly, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes as long as 15 minutes, but a crash is guaranteed. It doesn't seem to matter which character I'm using, or what I'm doing, the problem persists. Even with all mods turned off.

I figured it had something to do with the mod, so I've recently uninstalled it and it did stop the crashing. But not entirely, now the game crashes once in a while, after 4+ hours of gameplay. Leading me to believe this problem is only indirectly related to defiler, anyone having a similar problem to those listed above should check their memory allocation, as this is likely the problem, especially on older/slower PCs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for your post Decayer, I hope your issue has subsided...I'm assuming you have a legit copy of the game as well? Note that if you purchased the game but then used a no cd/dvd hack, it will cause crashes as well (this was actually built in as DRM to cause this unfortunately). You may also (if you have enabled mods before) try the restore game files option on the mods by screen to completely "refresh" those files, and then see if the crashing stops. :)

Soul

Maker of the Defiler and Portable. Get more information here!

"I hate it when people quote themselves in their signatures." - Me

Offline Profile