Login | Register

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Post subject: Crash when attempting to load main quest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm 

Hey, I'm new to this editor, so I might just be making a stupid mistake somewhere along the line, but here's my problem:

I have the Steam version of TQ Gold, and I attempted to edit my character, but now when I start up the game and click on 'Play Titan Quest', the game closes. It doesn't display any kind of error message or play an error sound, the screen just goes black for a moment and then I'm back at my desktop. I figured that editing the character might have made things buggy, so I used the emergency character reset option, but I still get the crash problem.

Stranger still, I successfully imported my character from TQ into IT afterward, and it seems to work just fine.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Crash when attempting to load main quest
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 am 
Site Admin

I've never heard of the game crashing to the desktop, maybe going back to the character screen (in regular TQ which is supposed to happen after making changes) but not for IT.

Could you email me or attach the player.chr file for the character causing the crash? And if you remember what you edited on the character?

Soul

Maker of the Defiler and Portable. Get more information here!

"I hate it when people quote themselves in their signatures." - Me

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:36 am 

Sure thing. Also, I should clarify - IT seemed to be working fine, it was only TQ where that happened. Also, the game was crashing when I clicked 'Play Titan Quest' on the main menu, which is supposed to bring me to the character selection screen. I had edited strength, dexterity, intelligence, and available skill points. I sent you an email with the player.chr file.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Ohh, well if that's the case it shouldn't be related to the character at all. Modifying a character won't cause the game to crash (that and the character works fine for me). Have you enabled any mods for regular TQ? If not it could be something completely unrelated to the Defiler that's causing it, but most likely it was a mod. If so please list what you have enabled and their values, after that under the menu selecting 'Restore Files' should clear up any issue you're having with TQ.

Soul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:42 pm 

I have this *exact* same problem.

I downloaded the Steam Gold version (both TQ & IT). Only have TQ installed. If I use Defiler to change anything, it causes a crash. I load the game, alt+tab out and click "Patch" (which runs like it should) and back in game, when I click "Play Titan Quest" it crashes as mentioned...black screen and then back to the desktop.

I made a complete character back up (just by copying the folder) and restoring it doesn't fix anything...game still crashes. The only way to restore the game is to uninstall it and then redownload, at which point it runs fine until I try to use Defiler, and again the crash. I've done it a couple times now, I have no addon's or mods besides Defiler.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi bahnzo, which mods are you enabling? You should be able to use the 'Restore Files' menu option on the mods screen to restore your files rather than reinstalling the whole game. The patch game button is only a temporary memory patch used for characters that have been altered (TQ only, not for IT).

Soul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 am 

I've quite recently bought the gold edition of TQ on steam, and after making a copy of a character, and then editing the copy, I get the same problem when clicking on "Play Titan Quest". I do not have any mods enabled, and have not used any other programs than the Defiler. I have tried deleting the modified character, and the one I copied, but it still doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:30 pm 

Hey there,

Just thought I would chip in here. I've been playing TQ like crazy for the last couple of weeks and thought I would give the mods a try, after finishing it on normal and epic and finding very little epic/legendary items throughout epic mode (say 3-5 when a friend found pretty much an entire legendary set in Greece and Egypt alone).

As soon as I enable mods, the game crashes when I click "Play Titan Quest" in the main menu. No error message as well, just a "Titan Quest stopped working". Restoring the backup files from Defiler doesn't work, but a full reinstall isn't needed either. Just right-click Titan Quest in Steam, go to Properties, then go to the tab Local Game Files. Click "Verify Integrity of game cache...". It will probably find one file that doesn't pass the verification and re-download that file alone. After that, everything should be fine again.

I'm going to do a clean install of Titan Quest and Defiler to see if I can find out what file is causing a problem. In the mean time, perhaps this helps a bit:

System: Intel E8400, 4GB RAM, HD4850 1GB, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Steam version of TQ/TQIT
What does work: Pretty much everything that has to do with character editing
What doesn't work: Anything regarding mods

Besides all this, thanks for the very useful tool. It has helped me out on several occasions when I accidentally picked a wrong mastery for my build or spent some attr. points in the wrong place. Getting the mods to work correctly would just be a bonus to be honest :).

Edit: Did some checking with a clean Titan Quest and a fresh Defiler install. Editing a character is no problem. The problems start when I click "Mods by..."

It creates backups, and when I go to the regular Titan Quest tab, 4 out of 5 of Raven's mods are checked on. Removing the checks and starting the game causes the game to crash when I click "Play Titan Quest". Restoring the backup files after that switches Raven's mods back on, but I don't notice any in game changes from default.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 am 

I am also having precisely the same problem as mentioned. And the only fix that makes the game stop crashing when I click "Play Titan's Quest" is the "Restore files" option in the menu on the "Mods By..." dialog.

This may be related, but every single mod on the Mods By page is greyed out and non-checkable, except for the Raven's mods. Raven's "Unique Chance Multiplier" is also greyed.

Perhaps this is because my game is so new? I just got TQ for crazy cheap on Steam through the Humble THQ Bundle (it's not TQ Gold, just regular TQ), and I haven't even gotten to level 3 yet. Maybe there are some things in the game that haven't become enabled yet, and the mods are messing with them?

I'd be happy to help debug this problem, because I really want to use Defiler for some quality-of-life enhancements (like infinite potion stacking). I'm an experienced computer programmer, if that helps.

Offline Profile